Saturday, May 26, 2007

The sum of these parts



I really like taking photos. I especially like taking photos of odd things that most people just see as junk. I like to look at things more closely. I like my zoom lens.
I took the top photo in April while I was in Florida. During a drive along "Alligator Alley" in the Everglades, we stopped at this gas station/rest stop. There was nothing scenic at all about the place. But while I was wandering around, I saw this bin full of these, well, things. I have no idea what they are. I just liked the graphicness of them.
The second shot is from a couple years ago. I took this while I was in Boulder, Colo. I was walking along Pearl Street and some junk in an alley caught my eye. If I recall correctly, there were some old doors leaning against a fence, as well as some rusty bikes. That was all interesting, but what really caught my eye was a big trash barrel full of what look to be automotive parts. I just liked the shiny parts against the dull parts. I also liked the subtle colors in there.
These are contenders for things I might submit to a show at the P.V. Art Center (http://www.pvartcenter.org/events.html#Call - it is for the Juried All-Media show. I may look at some other stuff for the Small Treasures show.)
Any thoughts on these photos?

No comments: