Saturday, November 17, 2007

Not a bad way to spend the morning


Some of you know that I work Saturdays and odd hours and holidays and all that fun stuff.

It could be better, but it could be worse. Right now I have Sundays and Mondays off work.

At my last job I had Fridays and Saturdays off. Better.

When I first started this job I had Mondays and Tuesdays off. Worse.


But I generally like my job as an editor/page designer. I find it interesting.

I like that while the job itself may stay pretty much the same, the content does not. It helps keep the job fresh.

I also like that I do not have an inbox. Nothing piles up in my desk. When I leave work at the end of the day, I know my job is finished and I get to come in and start fresh the next day.

The series of deadlines also works well for me. Give me two weeks to finish a project and I am likely to wait until Day 12 to start on it. It will be done right, but I will procrastinate.

Give me a series of deadlines to meet throughout the shift and I will pretty much beat every one of them.

It's kind of like a sprint rather than a marathon. And since I tend to be competitive, it's a great fit for me.


Typically I work from noon to about 8 p.m. Not bad hours compared to the 3 to 11 p.m. I used to work.

It still gives me plenty of time in the morning to wake up around 8:30 or 9, make tea, have some toast and check in on the news.

It also usually gives me time to get a chore done at home or to run an errand before work.

Then, when I leave work, I can come home and have dinner. Sure it is about 9 p.m. by the time I eat dinner. But I am almost always up until at least 1 anyway.


So what have I done with my morning so far:

tea

English muffin

news

watched a show I had recorded

cleaned up after cats

a load of towels

painted my toenails

blogged


Not bad at all considering it isn't even 11 yet.

Now I am off to get ready for work. I need to hurry though.

I still have to stop on the way to get gas and buy groceries for tonight's dinner.


Enjoy the weekend all!
(picture is from a trip to Yosemite a few years ago)

No comments: