Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sudafed? I laugh in the face of Sudafed!

Man, I just cannot seem to shake this cold-flu thing I have had since last week.
I first started feeling puny, as my mom would say, last Wednesday.
It started with chills and nausea that turned my stomach upside down and inside out. I had to leave work early and head for the safety of my bed.
Thursday started with fever, body aches and a massive headache.
Finally, by Friday, I thought I was coming out of it, even though I could not get warm.
Then Saturday I was blessed with a sore throat and the start of a hacking cough.
Sunday brought congestion, a wetter and more disgusting version of the cough.
By Monday I was completely miserable and spent most of the day on the couch.
I even slept with a box of tissues on the pillow next to me.
Today: cough and congestion; sneezing and sniffling.
Through it all I have been exhausted. Just bone-tired. Some of that I attribute to the illness, some to the fact that work has been a beast lately.

It was bad. And I knew that if I did not peel myself off the couch at some point Monday, I would really feel worse in the long run.

So I forced myself to get up. I thought maybe if I moved a little I would generate some energy within myself.

And for the first couple of hours it worked.

I made dinner. The manfriend was even brave enough to come over and share it with me. Baked salmon with dill and lemon juice, sauteed baby zucchini and a mushroom-sage bread pudding that I made up from memories of a great restaurant dish I have had a couple times.

It was great. It was a lovely dinner. I like to make a nice dinner on my faux Sunday night. It feels like a good way to cap the weekend and a good way to head into the new week.

But soon after eating, my eyes started to itch and the sneezing kicked in with a vengeance. I had been sitting too long. The energy was gone.

Poor manfriend. I think he gave me this illness, because he was feeling puny last week (though never as bad as I have had it). But I do hope that I do not pass back this horrid mutation of it that I seem to have.

Anyway, I am off to have another cup of tea and some wheat toast.

Then, yes, I have to try to work up enough energy to go to work. As long as they don't expect me to be pretty today, I might make it through the shift.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

You should go to the doctor and get antibiotics. I had the same thing and that "break" you had when you thought you were getting better was most likely the point when your crud was making the switch from viral to bacterial. I pretty much ended up with bronchitis/pneumonia. The doc will listen to your chest and hand you a script and within 48 hours you'll feel bionic. Really. Tea, vitamin C, grand marnier (for the sore throat of course) will just make you pee like a race horse but won't cure you. My two cents.