Friday, September 14, 2007





No granite guy today.

The foreman called this morning to say the granite guy had other appointments and would not be coming to the house until Monday.

Which is fine.

There has been a lot of progress in the past few days and I am happy to have a break from it.

Not that I got to sleep in today.

I took the car in for an estimate.

They said it would cost about $480.

That seems very low to me, especially considering they have to put in a new grill.

But really, like I told the claims adjuster, I don't really care how much it costs as long as they do the job right.

So I am dropping the car off at the body shop Monday.

Anyhoo... back to the kitchen.

They did get the oven and hood installed yesterday. They look awesome!

There is still a protective plastic thing on the hood, which makes it look white. But it is the same stainless as the oven.

The fridge and cooktop will also be that stainless. One of the reasons I wanted to get all the same brand of appliances was to make sure the stainless finishes were consistent.

Also, they left a sample piece of the countertop material. So I took a picture of that, too.

With all the activity this week, things are pretty dusty in the house, so I will need to spend a little time cleaning this weekend.

But it will have to wait until at least Sunday.

Tomorrow is my nephew's first birthday party (he turned 1 Wednesay). There is a fairly large party for the little guy, so I don't anticipate getting much done tomorrow around the house.

6 comments:

Marisa said...

Looking good! Your beautiful ovens are making me hungry.

Sona said...

Nice. Are those cabinets on the left going to have glass in them, or just open doors?

I like the countertop.

Jill said...

Oh yeah, the cabinets on the left will have clear glass in them.
There were no upper cabinets there before andI think solid doors would have felt too closed-in, so I went with clear glass.
And they are opposite from the window, so I think the glass provides good balance for that.
I think I will use at least part of those cabinets for cook-book storage. I have loads of cook books that I think are just beautiful and should be on display.

Jill said...

Oh and that countertop... Every time I see that sample I get excited.
I love that choice. The inspiration picture showed black counters, but I thought that was a little too harsh.
They gray provides enough contrast and is pretty close to the stone surrounding the fireplace in the living room, which is open to the kitchen.

Alex said...

I really like the hood. But remember to turn the fan off if you flambe something!

Jill said...

Hey, that was one time in 10 years of cooking some pretty fancy grub in this house that I set something on fire or melted an appliance.
I think my record speaks for itself!