Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I have no future writing cookbooks

I haven't ever really written a recipe.

More like I just try to explain what I put in a dish and rough ideas of how much and how long it cooks for.

And that is pretty much what you get here. This is basically how I made the individual apple galettes for my stamping group Sunday. These were a big hit:


Quick apple galette

makes 12 (4 from each pastry sheet; about 1/2 an apple per tart)


2 packages frozen puff pastry
6-8 apples (I used fuji)
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
white sugar
hazelnuts (I didn't measure. I got two small bags of chopped nuts from the baking aisle.)
1 lemon or 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup rum (whiskey, bourbon, etc. will do)
flour for dusting rolling pin, dough
1 egg
water


preheat oven to 400 degrees

-thaw the pastry per package instructions

-while pastry thaws, peel apples and remove cores

-cut apples into quarters and then cut into slices (about 1/8 inch thick)

-put apples in a non-reactive bowl with juice from 1 lemon

-add brown sugar

-add rum

-toss the apples and liquid until sugar has dissolved; set aside

-finely chop nuts; set aside

-once pastry is thawed, remove three sheets (usually there are 2 sheets per box)

-unfold each sheet and roll each out to about 1/8 inch thickness

-cut each sheet into 4 pieces

-spread about 1-2 tbsp nuts on center of pastry, leaving pastry bare about 1-inch all around

-layer apple slices over nuts

-fold up edges of pastry all around and press to seal

-repeat with all pastry pieces and arrange tarts on baking sheets about an inch apart

-beat egg with a little water to make egg wash

-brush egg wash on edges of pastry

-sprinkle with white sugar (brown sugar would work, too)

-bake 15-20 minutes or until pastry turns golden brown and puffy

I served these with vanilla ice cream because I ran out of time to make the almond whipped cream.

Also, I made these up a couple hours ahead of time and baked them just before I needed them.

I am not sure how long they can sit without baking. Maybe overnight? Maybe just a few hours.

The lemon juice is in there to keep the raw apples from browning, but I don't know how effective it is after more than a few hours.

Anyway... These are actually very easy. You can also just make one big galette out of one sheet of pastry. The photo is of the Martha Stewart plum galette that I have made in the past. It gives you an idea of how the dessert will look.

OK. I hope that wasn't too confusing. Bon apetit!




No comments: