Friday, May 9, 2008

Prone to nervousness

I think my cat gets anxious overnight.
I lock him out of the bedroom. If I don't, he climbs all over the headboard, knocks over lamps and generally does whatever he can to keep me awake.
He can also open the door to the bedroom unless I lock it. It has a handle instead of a knob.
He pulls down on it and lets himself in.
If it is locked, he will just stand there jiggling the handle for hours. Really. Hours.
Sometimes if he is really bad I put him in the bathroom on the other side of the house before I even go to bed. Sometimes I get up in the night and put him there.
Mind you, it is not that big a house. But this is the most amount of distance I can get from my bedroom.
He has his cat bed. He has water. He has a box of litter.
Last night I opted to give him the benefit of the doubt and did not lock him up.
He starts meowing at about 5 :30 a.m.
Loudly.
MEOW!
MEOW!
MEOOOOOOOOWWWW!
I know what he wants.
He wants food.
But he is too fat and he is on a very limited diet.
So I let him cry.
I drift in and out of sleep in between his wailing.
Finally, at about 8:30, I get out of bed.
I open my bedroom door to find three of his toys (lion, rat and fish) scattered in the short hallway.
He was playing.
I have found a toy there in the past.
They usually live in a box near the fireplace in the living room.
But I think when he gets nervous or anxious, he plays.
It cracks me up every time I get up in the morning and find toys outside my door.
Like he is leaving me offerings in the night.

2 comments:

Marisa said...

I had that struggle with my cats for awhile... they have calmed down at night as they age. The SKUNK now, she's a pain in the ass at night. Thus two baby gates.

Sona said...

When my daughter was first born, we had to lock the cats up at night in the utility room. They would try to get into her room and make a terible noise.

As any mother knows, waking a sleeping baby is cause for murder.

So locking them up was the kinder choice.

Years later, my last cat still gets the lockup. It's just more pleasant.