Thursday, June 7, 2007

Yeah, I was feeling this way last night/this morning


I was in such a good mood last night as I was leaving work. It was about 7:30, so a little earlier than normal. A favorite colleague of mine who had been off work for a couple months after a car accident was coming back to the office today.

So I decided to welcome her back by making a couple giant pans of chocolate bread pudding. I was going to hit the market on my way home, then start baking after a quick dinner.

Now I live 37 miles from work. It's kind of a pain, but I deal.

Unless I get a flat tire on the freeway while doing about 70 mph and I am only on the second of my four freeways (about halfway home.)

Yeah. Nice.

The really bizarre part is that while it happened, I was on the cell (hands-free, thank you very much) talking to a friend who was describing a tire blow-out he had on the way to Vegas just a few days earlier.

Then suddenly I felt something odd. Like my tire was filled with bread pudding instead of air.

It wouldn't have been so bad except that I had a flat a couple months ago when I came out from work. Luckily I was still in the parking structure and AAA came out and put on the spare tire.

Of course, since I am SO busy with my life, you know making cards and bowls and generally a mess, I never went to deal with getting a new spare.

So I am sitting at a Shell station in Garden Grove, halfway between work and home, at 8:30 last night waiting for AAA to show up.

I know I have no spare. I know I don't want to leave my car in the Grove. I have no way to get home if they can't fix the tire somehow.

So they show. The tire that went flat on the freeway was the brand-new spare that was put on a couple months ago. It has a gaping hole on the backside of it. No chance of fixing that one.

We pulled the other flat tire, the spare flat tire as I called it, out of the trunk.

Yay! It held air.

So I drove toward home, stopping at a market on the way. I'll been damned if I wasn't going to make that bread pudding.

People had heard about it. People were planning to skip lunch to have some.

So I did my baking and went to bed around 12:30 p.m.

I got up today knowing that I would have to deal with the tire. And sure enough, the tire was flat again.

So I called AAA out again (yeah, I am getting my money's worth out of that service). They aired the tire and I was off to Costco to get a couple new ones for the front.

Costco where you usually wait about an hour. Well... I guess when they have a tire sale it must be good. Because it was a FOUR hour wait.

Um, no thanks. If I hung around a Costco for four hours, I would spend so much money.

So I headed to a local shop and got a couple tires put on the front.

Whew. What a saga.

But man was that bread pudding amazing!


(I skipped the rum sauce and had fresh mixed berries and homemade almond whipped cream!)
Oh and the photo is another from the Santa Barbara trip in March.

No comments: