Sunday, June 24, 2007

Pray for me (and for the helpless baby - no, not MY baby)

OK. So today is my nephew's baptism.
Anyone who knows me knows that I am not really a religious person. But my sister asked me to be the baby's godmother.
Of course I said yes.
Then I asked who was going to be the godfather (Let him be cute, I thought! Let him be tall!). I was told that it is just me. NO godfather. Just me.
Damn.
Oh wait... I probably shouldn't curse in a post about a baptism.
So what does it mean to be a godmother? It's not all Disney fairy tales and turning pumpkins into carriages.
My understanding is that I am supposed to help guide his spiritual development.
Hmm.
My idea of spiritual development is the fermentation process of turning grape juice into wine.
Yeah, I know. Bad joke.
Anyway, I was thinking that it might be hypocritical of me to be a godmother when I am not the least bit religious. Then I thought about it.
I might not be religious, but I believe in a higher power. The power of a strong family and the power that has in making a good kid a good adult.
I don't have to be religious to help the kid build a strong set of values and beliefs.
So I have fully embraced my role as godmother.
Besides, I got to buy a new dress for the occasion and there will be cake afterward.

1 comment:

Jim Thomsen said...

There's being religious, and there's being spiritual. Two COMPLETELY different things. I think you're fully capable and even willing to instill SPIRITUAL values — by instilling an appreciation of the world around him and the forces that created it. As well as respect for those creative forces.